Ok, as many of you know, I’m kind of a nut when it comes to trying things out first especially when it comes to speed and making my computer work better. Well, sometimes it can come with harsh backfire if you’re not prepared.
Here’s what happened…
Several months ago, I saw a tweak where I could modify my settings and make Vista download the new SP1 version before it was even out. Sounds good. The speed and stability were almost instantly noticeable and I was extremely happy. But…
What I didn’t know was this Beta download would override my existing version of Vista and even though I had a legitimate licensed copy, the Beta version was NOT recognizing that I had paid for it.
A few weeks ago, I kept getting popup warning messages that this new version was going to expire and I had to install a NEW VERSION of Vista. I thought well that stinks. But, I did install this Beta version at my own risk, so I figure OK, it was my fault and I have to pony up the money in order to no lose all my data. So, I ordered a new version of Vista from Microsoft’s site. Yeah, I had to pay for what I already had, but I had no choice.
Here’s where it get’s almost scary…
I tried downloading the new version which I just paid for but the file is 2.86 Gigs. Everytime I tried to download it, it just wouldn’t download all the way. I tried about 8 different times. To make matters worse I had to leave for England to speak at a seminar.
3 Days Left Until My Computer Expires
Now, I’m sweating. I try downloading again. Nope, it wasn’t going to happen.
1 Day Left Until My Computer Turns Into A High Price Brick
Now, I’m in Paris, France on vacation. I download again. Nope. Again, Nope. Again… NO, NO, NO! I have literally 4 hours left until my computer is gone and I don’t know what will even happen to all my data. I have everything on it right now. As you can guess, I’m sweating.
I knew what the problem was. The file is just not downloading all the way. Well, I do a search for a download accelerator for FireFox which I use and I find it.
It claimed it was exactly what I needed. You see, my other problem was that even though I had a great connection here in France, Microsoft’s site was only downloading at 67k. Ugh!
Well what do I have to lose with only 4 hours left.
I was shocked at what happened next!
I installed the Add-On, and started my download. My download speed boosted up to 1mb per second. Yeah baby. It took only a fraction of the time to download the file and YES MY WINDOWS INSTALL WORKED!
I’m happy to say my computer is running fine and this free Add-on is my new best friend.